When is a web page spam?
Interesting conversation over in Danny Sullivan's SearchEngineWatch forums about what constitutes spam in search engines. First, the usual heated, lengthily debated arguments about techniques and degrees:
- using certain techniques, or using any techniques at too high a degree is spam;
- optimizing pages at all for search engines is spam;
- there is no such thing as spam;
- what search engines think is spam is spam;
- what users think is spam is spam;
- what some SEOs think is spam is spam.
Then, a turn: since SEOs as a group can never agree on what is spam, much less degrees and techniques, why not a discussion of the risk factors of optimization techniques?
I'd say: risk factors against effectiveness.
Have your say ...
First-time comments will be held for moderation (but comments are appreciated). Otherwise, just be courteous. If your name is a bunch of keywords, your comment will be deleted. Don't post links unless highly pertinent. Posters must be 16 or older.