November 22, 2004

What’s the story, Macromedia?

Macromedia browser specification page

‘Tis is a sad day.

Let’s see: US-CERT says not to use IE. I don’t feel like starting up Navigator or Mozilla, and shouldn’t have to because Opera 7.5x is VERY standards compliant. And I like it. So the next recommendation is AOL?

Let’s see: I’m a designer/developer/holistic whatever, just like many of your clientele. I probably won’t be on AOL in this lifetime.

Fine. No problem. Guess the answer is hand coding.

12 Comments to "What’s the story, Macromedia?"

1. Dreamweaver MX 2004 says:

[...] ll had to switch to Firefox, though, since Macromedia’s Web Standards-compliant site still kicks Opera to a browser upgrade page). Nonetheless, having i [...]

2. Dave Child says:

Funny thing is, Opera’s rendering engine is what powers the recent version of Dreamweaver!

Hmm. Cobbler’s children’s shoes?

4. John Dowdell says:

Hmm, I’m able to get in to the Macromedia site using Opera. I’m not in Opera 7.5, though, so that may be a variable. Still, Opera is a standard browser, I’m not sure what may be triggering that alert…?

Tell you what, let me walk over the web team, see if they have info, and pass them the address to this blog item. Could I ask you to doublecheck that it wasn’t a transitory problem, and consider what other differences may exist? It’d be good to get to the bottom of this alert, thanks.

(The Macromedia site does make heavy use of Macromedia Flash SWF files, but I don’t think this is at play there because it mentions your browser specifically.)

Regards,
    John Dowdell
    Macromedia Support

Sorry. <blush> This post arose from a bit of late-night frustration; I’m a long-time Macromedia fan. This is the path I took:

Macromedia home page:

Selected: Dreamweaver MX 2004 link

Selected: Buy or upgrade Dreamweaver MX 2004 ›
    clicking on link the link in Opera 7.54 set to identify itself identified as MSIE 6.0 takes me to the upgrade browser page:

6. teli says:

Isn’t it pretty nifty though – Macromedia support reads your blog and responds quickly :)…good to know

7. John Dowdell says:

ah, so it was when approaching the Macromedia Store that the alert came up… Neil on the web team said that might be a scenario, and I can see that screen too now.

But I’m trying to click through, and I don’t see anything on the site telling me *why* the Macromedia Store cannot use this browser… the info page doesn’t mention the store at all, matter of fact, implying that none of the site will work in any Opera, which is not the case. That alert page also links to an “html version of the store” which leads me into a circular click loop when I try it.

Something seems odd to me here… you shouldn’t ever have to run up against a brick wall like that. I’m not sure what I can do, but let me walk around the office and show people your report, see if we can see a way forward…..

tx, jd/mm

8. John Dowdell says:

btw, I cheated, searching Technorati on term “macromedia” to find recent weblog commentary…. ;-)

jd

9. Neil Straghalis says:

I’m sorry you’re having trouble with this, I went through the same thing John did, and it is frustrating. I know we currently have an open bug on this now which I’m trying to track down and get the status of; it seems releated to the way we do detection on our Flash store.

In the meantime, here’s a direct link to our HTML store, which should function correctly in Opera:

Again, I’m sorry this has caused you frustration, and we’re trying to fix the problem.

-neil straghalis
    macromedia.com

Hm. First, I should clarify that my “frustration” was due not to Macromedia’s website, but to a late-night XHTML/CSS cross-browser coding problem. I don’t normally yell at companies across the Web.

For the record, one can take a lesson from Macromedia, for their grace under fire as well as their great products. True story: years ago, after I’d been using HomeSite for some years and picked up Dreamweaver on the advice of a colleague, I made a comment over at the VirtualPromote/JimWorld forums that, while I liked Dreamweaver, I missed some of the functionality of HomeSite and wished it could be incorporated into Dreamweaver. I later received a telephone call from Macromedia R&D regarding that post and what precisely I had in mind. This kind of thing makes one feel included in the process.

So, John and Neil: I really appreciate your posting here, and the care you’ve shown this one lone customer.

Diane

January 26, 2005 Update re Macromedia Site

If anyone cares, the same problem still exists on the Macromedia website. Thought I’d take a look at Dreamweaver 2004 MX, clicked the “Buy or upgrade Dreamweaver MX 2004” button … and was bid once again to use the “latest version” of IE, the Mozillas or AOL.

Probably that isn’t the best place to sideline shoppers.

12. SLeeeper says:

LOL. I was just browsing through, when this thread caught my eye.
    Just to let you know, the problem is still there.

In all fairness, they do have the link to an HTML version of the page. And the only time I use Opera is when testing cross-browser compatibility, but to read this thread, I thought they (Adobe now) would have fixed it…oh well.