August 5, 2005

WordPress Nofollow Remover Plugin

Thanks to Nick, I note that Dean Edwards has come up with a nofollow remover plugin for WordPress. I'd simply found the nofollow code and removed it, but that's likely too complex for many WordPress users.

I have to note, when the WordPress developers announced that nofollow was being included in WordPress, the arguments that erupted in the WP forums over the presumed efficacy of nofollow. Many assumed that this would be the anti-spam godsend they'd hoped for; that, andor wanted to lend their support to the developers' efforts. My thoughts to the contrary (posted here in WordPress and the Google Link Attribute) were much challenged by many, and in particular in a most threatening tone by a poster who wouldn't identify him/herself in the forums. I assumed that history would bear this out — that the existence of nofollow wouldn't stop the spam attempts (but that it *would* lessen the linking effects — PageRank, etc. — of those WP blogs implementing it).

So, we've had some time with nofollow now. Did the spam attempts stop cold? No, much less due to nofollow. As I said then (hotly countered by many): cripple your own blogs at your own risk.

Added: manually removing nofollow:

A quick search of the WordPress files shows that nofollow is mentioned in the following files:

– wpincludes/comments-functions.php
– wpincludes/default-filters.php
– wpincludes/functions-formatting.php

Copy your WordPress files
Edit the above (you'll probably just have to take out the rel='nofollow')
Upload, and see if your blog still works.
If it does, you're gold.

If you get a white page, you have an owie somewhere. Re-edit and upload.

UPDATE: The above does not work in WordPress 2.0.x; for those versions, there's a plugin.

14 Comments to "WordPress Nofollow Remover Plugin"

1. donncha's blog » Links For Friday, April 21, 2006 says:

[…] at Elam Bend (McFall, Missouri) (Via) Removing “nofollow” from WordPress 1.5 (Via) No Comments » No co […]

2. Ezra says:

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone could help. I did something stupid and started my blog using a numerical archive system, and now I'd like to change it so that the post title is part of the URL for SEO reasons. Is there any WordPress plugins that anyone knows of that could switch it without sending Googlers to invalid pages? Maybe some sort of redirector to the correct page?

Thanks.

Hm. WordPress can switch to search engine friendly URLs (the setting is in the control panel), but that doesn't deal with the URLs that are currently in search engines and elsewhere.

I don't know how large your site is, but you could always write 301 redirects into the .htaccess file; unfortunately, I don't know of a WordPress plugin that would handle that for you.

Hi, Elliot. I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're asking … ideas for what? Are you looking to use WordPress, or to develop a plugin?

5. Esteban says:

Does anyone know the name of the wordpress plugin that creates a list of your posts in a category instead of just displaying them one after the other? I want it so that when someone clicks on a category they just get a list of posts from that category.

I'm sure Ive seen one…and sifting through the WP site is a nightmare

Hello, Esteban. I know what you mean about the WP site; it's huge.

Actually, as I recall, what you want requires just a little editing of the archive.php template (in the /content/themes folder).

Make a copy of it first. Then, on the original, around line 37, remove:

<?php the_content() ?>

which prints the entire post, and replace with:

<?php the_excerpt() ?>

This will give you the title plus an excerpt of the post. If you don't want the excerpt, just remove <?php the_content() ?> — that should do it!

7. Carl says:

What I want to do on my blog, is every few hours take the oldest post and move it to the
    front of the queue, all automatically. Anyone know if there is a plugin that can do this or
    a simple way to set up another plugin to do this (use my own feed perhaps)?
    Thanks.

Carl, I can't think of how to do that offhand, although I *believe* I've seen a request for something like that posted at the WordPress forums.

That said, here is the WordPress Codex's rather breathtakingly long list of WP2-compatible plugins.

If this were me, I think I'd search at the WP forums first, because you never know what someone has named his/her plugin.

9. yurtlar says:

hello esteban.
    i download'ed this plugins.but it's very bad. i want a plugins how the all links must be "nofollow".

Yurtlar, what happened when you tried the plugin?

11. Tips for efficient usage of NOFOLLOW link attribute - Daily SEO blog says:

[…] When and How to use the Nofollow link attribute on blogs – The Good practicesIf you are on WordPress, by default all the user generated links (comment area) are nofollowed unless you modify the code or use a nofollow remover plugin. […]

12. Tips for efficient usage of NOFOLLOW link attribute | Web Hosting Coupons says:

[…] When and How to use the Nofollow link attribute on blogs – The Good practices If you are on WordPress, by default all the user generated links (comment area) are nofollowed unless you modify the code or use a nofollow remover plugin. […]

13. Karel Zeman says:

I am also using this great theme.Just a small question.I want to add new page elements in this theme,like i want to add page elements above posts and below posts.You have provided us two sidebars.they are great but what if i need two more page elements under and above posts.Which files i need to modify ?

Hi, Karel. I'm a little confused … what theme are you referring to? (I hope you don't mean the one I'm using, because I designed it and haven't issued it as a theme.)

If you're referring to WordPress, and want to put elements above and below posts on the post's permanent page, just edit single.php.