12/25/2005

Adobe-Macromedia 2006 Plans

Although they have taken steps to reassure the design community, many of us are concerned that Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia — however promising — may mean the end of some of our most favored Macromedia programs. Macromedia's John Dowdell points us to the Full Transcript of Adobe Systems' F4Q05 Conference Call at softwarestockblog.com.

While the lengthy transcript covers a great deal of financial information, I note:

• "[A]s we move forward as a combined company in fiscal 2006, we will report our revenue in 5 new business segments. Creative Solution, which will primarily contain revenue from Creative-focused products such as Creative Suite, Photoshop, Studio, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign and our Video products
  • "Enterprise and Developer Solutions, which will primarily include revenue from our Flex, LifeCycle and ColdFusion product families"

Unfortunately, I do not see Dreamweaver mentioned at all — however, neither is GoLive mentioned. It's enough to give me the shakes; luckily, I took my own advice last summer to "whatever you're gonna buy, buy it now."

From Bruce Chizen, CEO:

I am especially pleased with the integration of the new management team which is represented by a solid balance of leadership from Adobe and Macromedia.

and

Going forward, Adobe will advance a powerful engagement platform with PDF and Flash at its core, which scales from mobile devices to high-end server-based solution. This engagement platform will redefine the way people and businesses engage with information across a variety of operating systems, devices and communication channels.

It is this last that I find extremely interesting. While I have no idea what an "engagement platform" may be, the idea of combining Flash and PDF is mighty interesting. Those of us who publish e-books may find a new way to illustrate them if Flash is available.

Or did I doze off and miss the fact that Flash can already be incorporated into PDFs?

8 Comments to "Adobe-Macromedia 2006 Plans"

1. Brad says:

Apple Computer has to be worried that one company, Adobe, now controls almost all the professional web design/dev software for the Mac.

Heck I don't even use Dreamweaver and I'm worried.

True. On the other hand, the Mac is the preferred operating system of those I call "print people" … which I think has been a staple market for Adobe for a long time. Heck, much of Adobe's terminology (even web terminology) is print jargon. So I'm not sure that that's a problem for Apple.

I was told a story by one of my "print" friends: that Quark, the most popular print layout program, was so difficult to use that, when a new version was at last issued, many refused to upgrade simply because they didn't want to face another learning curve.

One would think that Adobe would not, then, cause a problem for a major market. And that is not to say that many web designers/devs don't use Macs.

What do you think?

3. Brad says:

I had not thought about the print angle. What you say makes a lot of sense Diane.

Another item you point out that dovetails into the print angle – it seems that Adobe realizes that PDF needs an overhaul, for one it is ill suited for an increasingly mobile device world. (Just getting a PDF document on my Palm PDA is a time consuming pain with no promise that it will be successful in the conversion.) So the trick with PDF is how to make it leaner and let people decide if it will retain it's type-set sort of formating or allow it to reflow to something that will fit on all devices and be readable.

So some new PDF that combines Flash could be interesting.

And come to think of it, Flash itself could use some help – I think Flash built sites can be gloriously beautiful and that it is a shame that lack of spiderability (indexability) has killed so much of Flash's usefulness to the web design community. (Flash just seems better suited to a directory driven search would ass opposed to a crawler driven world and that is a shame.)

It seems like both of these technologies need some new approaches.

I think you were smart to buy DW upgrade when you could, just to be on the safe side.

> I think Flash built sites can be gloriously beautiful

I do too — but I wonder sometimes if it's safe to say so out loud! LOL

You have a point about Flash and search engines. It's a shame they don't read the text (OTOH, if they did, I suspect that many Flash sites would lose some of that sparse-text beauty). While I've seen a few totally-Flash sites that were incredible, I often find them difficult to use … so that's where the designer has to make some adjudications regarding what's workable.

Hm. The other devices angle: you're right, of course. Many of us don't use them, so it's important to hear what the experience is like. I hadn't thought of the non-reflowing issue; I can't imagine what trying to read a PDF on a small screen must be like. Since we seem to be witnessing a great convergence of companies — and Adobe has been reworking its programs so that they can "repurpose" content for some time now — it's entirely possible (even likely) that they're looking at that issue.

By the way, I should correct what I said in my first comment: "much of Adobe's terminology (even for web applications) is print jargon."

5. David Mendels says:

Hi,

I don't want to make specific comments on exact roadmap for Dreamweaver or Go Live–that is not my area these days, but I can tell you with absolute confidence that there is nothing to read in Bruce's comments that should have you worried.

I come from the Macromedia side of the house, and I don't know the GoLive team personally yet myself, but I can tell you that the Dreamweaver team is in great shape at Adobe. (Please don't read into this anything to be worried about about GoLive either…I simply don't have knowledge there I can share.

Regards,
    David
    Adobe

Hello, David, and welcome to DevelopedTraffic.

I truly appreciate your taking the time to respond to us, as I know that the web designer/developer community has been mightily concerned about what might happen to Dreamweaver and other Macromedia products. From what I'm gathering, in general we have nothing to worry about — thanks for that. In that case, it all sounds terribly exciting.

While I (hopefully) have your ear, I was kind of hoping that the original post-merger Adobe comments about PDF and Flash meant that, somewhere in the future, the two might be combined. Perhaps that's not something that your general enterprise clients would have in mind, but it sounds like a dream come true for authors, musicians and the like. Just a (tiny) suggestion from the <software-buying> field. :)

Thanks again; so kind of you to stop by.

7. PBCNXMAN says:

I am not an Anti-Adobe or Anti-Macromedia… I Use Adobe's Software for Audio Visual and I Use Macromedia's Software for Web Publishing… i love these two companies… but the merger is quite off… The only thing i fear is about this merger is that some of the macromedia products, i think including fireworks and dreamweaver may dissapear… i have others but i don't know what that is…

I know what you mean; that's been the fear of many since we first heard of the Macromedia acquisition.

So far as I can tell, though, there are no plans to discontinue Dreamweaver. I think that's what the Adobe/Macromedia folks are trying to tell us, without being able to say much at all.

So, hopefully, that's the way it goes.