03/12/2006

Kaspersky Anti-Virus New Version

I've noted virus.gr's December 2005 anti-virus test, which showed Kaspersky Personal Pro at the top of the list, at 99.46% effectiveness. But I also noted that this is not the "Kaspersky Personal" version available at kaspersky.com … rather, it appears that the Pro version is/was(?) only available through third party(ies) (and appears to be more configurable).

The good news is that, according to Kaspersky forums moderator Don Pelotas, Personal and Personal Pro are to be rolled into one with the advent of Kaspersky Personal version 6:

Pro & Personal is not continueing with the release of 6.0 there will only be one version. as well as a suite. So you may as well buy Personal, it will also give the upgrade to 6.0.

That said, it's a little confusing (or perhaps it's just me) to see the forums announcement of "New versions of 5.0 Personal + Pro released, Version 5.0.522". What did I miss? Are they combined yet? I'd guess not, because this is *not* version 6.

At any rate, I've gotten the Personal version and am pleased to note that it's much faster than an earlier version I tried. Also effective, and uses far less system resources than I'd seen it do a few years ago.

If you decide to purchase or upgrade, be sure to check out the sticky notes Kaspersky user forums.

7 Comments to "Kaspersky Anti-Virus New Version"

1. Telian Adlam says:

I've been using Kaspersky Personal Pro 5.0 for almost a year now and only have a few qualms for it.

In terms of protection, it's awesome. In terms of usability, it can use some work.

One thing to note is it sucks up system resources (silently) when it's running the weekly scan.

I know there's a way to set it to prompt before doing the weekly scan, but sometimes I just forget and all of sudden, my computer starts to crawl and I'm reminded – shut off the virus scan and schedule it for later.

Other than that – highly recommended. Can't wait until the Personal/Pro are rolled into one though.

Well, hello, Ms. Teli — nice to see you!

I agree, although it's a LOT better with system resources than it used to be. And I, too, am awaiting the combination Personal/Pro

3. Telian Adlam says:

I know it's been ages since I posted the original comment (hi right back at ya Diane) – but I didn't receive my follow up e-mail and I'm sure I checked the comment notification button.

(There, went and checked it again – LOL).

~ Teli

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be doing some testing (and fixing, likely).

I'll be popping over to your place (well, I just did; nice to see how much you've done).

5. dianev says:

Teli, I just ran a test to see whether the comment notification email thing is working; it worked for me. Is it possible that you've changed the email address you used to sign up? You can check at Comment Subscription Manager.

Or …?

6. Nymra Farooqui says:

Thanks for save ma pc

Your very welcome, Nymra.