June 22, 2006

Speed up WS_FTP Site Manager

I've been using Ipswitch's WS_FTP Pro for years. It works fine, and the ability to save loads of site configurations (and multiple configurations per domain), connect via sftp *and* connect to two remote servers makes it truly useful. However, I found that, over time, start up of WS_FTP Pro slowed down. Once started, it was as fast as ever; I'm just talking about the length of time between starting the program and the Site Manager appearing … it was taking 10-15 seconds.

Deleting a bunch of site configurations didn't help. Neither did searching for an answer.

What *did* help was simply deleting the history of items in the Transfer Manager. Presto! Now it takes only a couple of seconds to start.

7 Comments to "Speed up WS_FTP Site Manager"

1. Dave Child says:

I used to use WS_FTP, and it's ok, but I switched to FileZilla some time ago and would not go back. WS_FTP had given me problems for a while (I've not used it for some time so it might be better now), and FileZilla was a breath of fresh air by comparison. The multi-threading, especially, is an excellent addition – you can continue to browse while uploading or downloading.

Thanks, Dave. I generally like WS_FTP but I hadn't looked into FileZilla's multi-threading, which sounds like a great feature. (Good to see you, too.)

3. Philip M. McDonnell says:

I second FileZilla… It is GREAT & best of all FREE! I would recommend FZ any day!

Regards,
    Phil

4. Steve says:

Thanks Diane, I'd been looking for a solution to that problem for ages. Note that ALL transfers should be deleted… or just delete transferhistory.dat and requests.dat in the Application Data folder.

You're welcome, Steve — and thanks for the tip about deleting transferhistory.dat and requests.dat.

6. Tom says:

but i cant find the history area you described.. is it possible to amplify… Thanks

Just look in the Information Window > Transfer History and delete all the items in the Transfer History.