12/18/2006

Blog Tag – 5 Things You Don't Know About Me

Sophie tagged me for the "5 Things You Don't Know About Me" Blog Tag thing (see the tree). So, at the risk of boring everyone:

(1) Early on, I supported myself by designing clothing, which sold because it tended to enhance people's looks. The design of this blog is based on my favorite clothing (and lipstick) colors. At least, they were my favorites before the Web landed in full force in my awareness and I forgot about everything else.

(2) I once fixed my husband with my eye and declared, "All girls need a French writing desk." To which he replied: "I know." :)

(3) While I was moderating the VirtualPromote/JimWorld SearchEngineForums Site Review Please! forum back in the '90s, I was also the unidentified administrator known as "Mother" — a concoction by Jim that I think he thought was "cute" — and by the time I invited Oilman to moderate, Brett had already snagged him for Webmaster World. This happened a few times, including losing littleman due to timing. And — I know who Stepmother was. As do some of you.

(4) Easily bored, I can relate to the Bob Dylan line, "I just can't sit" — which in my mind somehow doesn't conflict with long hours of sitting at the computer, but does mean that just doing "nothing" makes me antsy and I have to have at least a couple of things to do even on "breaks". Luckily, computer games like Mahjong and Jixxa puzzles (turn any image into a puzzle) save me. I, of course, don't characterize this as "doing nothing" — in fact, years ago, I used the Jixxa puzzles to train myself to recognize minute variances in color. And now I'm just ::cough:: polishing my skills. That explanation works, doesn't it? Well, it's true.

(5) Our cat Sammy, our loyal friend for most of his 21 years, is the main reason I don't go much of anywhere. Thing is, almost every time we've left him in someone else's care, something bad has happened, and I feel that his kind of loyalty should not be rewarded with more bad things happening. I actually didn't attend the first JimWorld conference even though Mikkel pestered me to do so. And declined a speaking engagement at Lennart Svanberg's Internet Marketing Conference for the same reason. And then Lennart just stopped asking. But I've determined that I will somehow show up at Danny Sullivan's new conference. I do need to get out some.

And so, I'll tag:

1. [Edited — shhhh!]
  2. Brad Eslen
  3. Dan Renner
  4. Teli Adlam
  5. Nick Wilson (he'll probably hate this)

9 Comments to "Blog Tag – 5 Things You Don't Know About Me"

1. Kim Krause Berg (cre8pc) says:

I wasn't bored at all Diane! I love you and anytime you talk about your life is fun to read. You have a zest for living and an eye for beauty that I admire :)

I appreciate the loyalty to your cat, Sammy. Whenever we go away, its hard on the dog and 3 cats. The cats don't mind it when the dog goes to the "doggie spa". They love to see him go away. But when we come home, the cats act as if it's THEIR house now and we're imposters, even though I make careful arrangements to have friends and family come by to feed and play with them.

Oh, you see there, and I didn't think I had a life! LOL. So — what, you didn't immediately go for the Jixxa puzzles?

Yes, cats are a trip, aren't they? And Sammy isn't exactly a young fellow, so we're taking care. One day I'll explain the steps we take to keep him as youthful as possible; has to do with specially ordered food, organic this and that, and liquid vitamins.

Good to see you, Kim. It's always impressive, how much you're accomplishing.

3. Sophie Wegat says:

Always nice to learn more about someone you admire, so thanks for sharing Diane. :)

I hear you about Sammy. I have the same problem with my 9 year old Beagle Harley, whom I'm sure I've talked about before. We have found a place that nannies your pets which seems to work.

4. Let’s Get Personal For A Moment - WordPress SEO and Blog Marketing says:

[…] There's a huge game of tag going around, and as much as I tried to duck, weave, and hide, it didn't work — I've been tagged. Multiple times. […]

5. Nick Wilson says:

He does, but he likes yours :)

Ah, but you all are too wonderful. Great to see you, and I'll be around more from now on.

7. Brad says:

>>Mother

Ouch! Diane I was so afraid of "Mother" back in those days! Although I appreciated her ability to knock heads together and maintain order. I never would have guessed. :-)

Oh, no, Brad! The reason Mother was so … terse(?) … in public was that I was trying hard not to sound like me while trying to communicate to an international audience.

9. Sophie Wegat says:

Hehe it's nice to see you out yourself. Guess it's surprising some people. ;)