02/22/2007

Now, Windows Vista, says Dan

I see that my friend Dan (the guy who maintains our computer network) has written an article about Windows Vista. Dan is one of those guys who is very calm about the public's computer foibles, and I think he has a good take on it.

As for me, I'm not sure why I have to keep upgrading and upgrading. I used Windows 2K Professional up until last summer, when I got a new machine. I spent a darn lot of time loading stuff onto this computer, I'm happy with it, and I sure don't feel like reloading anything, just in case something goes wrong.

As to the future, to be honest, I've done quite well on Windows machines, don't want to move to Mac, and consider that moving to Linux would mean jumping through hoops in trading files with clients and, possibly, having to re-purchase far too much software.

But, for now, I'm not one to upgrade every second, particularly with certain types of software — and I'm less likely to do so if there's a good possibility of problems. After all, I'm not having any problems now.

Thanks, Dan.

6 Comments to "Now, Windows Vista, says Dan"

1. Dan says:

You are welcome Diane. And thank you for the good words!

Cheers!
    Dan

2. Sophie Wegat says:

I remember when Windows 95 came out and people queued all night to get the first copy. I thought that was madness. Like you we don't upgrade for the sake of it. Once a machine is running sweetly why mess with it.

Having said that I am moving to a Mac later this year. Diane the Mac OS is Unix based so you could get the best of both worlds. :)

Dan: You're most welcome. Our network is smoothly purring along, so thank you.

Sophie: I guess it's no secret that I don't particularly want to move to Mac; or perhaps it's that I don't want to move to Mac specifically. So I can say: "I can't hear you …" LOL

4. Sophie Wegat says:

Hehe. Fair enough. :-)

5. Lou D says:

Diane, thanks for doing my WordPress upgrade at WildSnow.com, excellent job. Thought I'd check out your blog — good stuff. I'm still on Windows 2000 on my desktop, XP on my laptop.Both work fine. Upgrading of software is a huge issue in my shop, as like anyone who's doing everything from web development to multi-media production I use dozens of programs. If I kept everything upgraded it would cost me a fortune and sometimes be a full time job. We've had a joke slogan here for a while: "just say no to upgrades." A bumper sticker perhaps?

You're very welcome, Lou.

And I quite agree with the upgrades, particularly with an operating system.

I'd upgrade Photoshop or other software if it offered something I needed, but I'm fine with the Windows OSes we have … and I'm not crazy about the Vista EULA. Somehow that just seems wrong.