July 13, 2008

Increasing Opera's Speed Dial

One of the beauties of Opera is it's Speed Dial feature … a "page" containing nine slots in which you can specify websites to open at the click of the mouse. The problem, though, is that this feature (which I initially thought was silly, but grew to love) gets full pretty quickly, so nine slots does not quite do it. Especially if you have a large monitor.

(Yes, I know: Firefox now has its own version of SpeedDial.)

Any way, Remco Lanting at My.Opera.com has posted a quick method of increasing Opera's speed dial slots:

Close Opera
Edit speeddial.ini in your profile to add this:

[Size]
Rows=4
Columns=5

What I had to do to be able to edit the speeddial.ini though, was not so easy. After closing Opera and locating speeddial.ini in my profile, I couldn't edit it in NoteTab Pro … even after I dragged it to my desktop. I finally edited it in NotePad, dragged it back, and had 20(!) Speed Dial slots available. And, as always, you can drag items to other slots.

Cheap thrills, eh? :)

Kudos to Mr. Lanting.

21 Comments to "Increasing Opera's Speed Dial"

1. Dave Child says:

Great tip, Diane – been wanting more slots there for ages!

Dave, it's you!! <grin>

You're very welcome, although I can't take credit for the solution.

Hope you and yours are doing well!

I just realized you'd moved to a new domain — addedbytes.com — and so I've updated all my links to go to the proper pages.

4. Janet says:

Thx for the tip. Can I do this in Firefox?

Sure. Take a look at Firefox add-ons. There are a few speeddial-like addons.

6. Janet says:

I got this Fast Dial 2.11 Add-on for Firefox from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5721
    Are there any better recommendations?

Not sure. You can check whatever addons are available for Firefox.

8. Janet says:

Looks like you don't use Firefox :)

I only use Firefox on occasion, when necessary and to test the websites we build, which is why I had originally posted about Opera (which I use all the time).

10. Janet says:

Ahan. I do that on Opera currently. I'm not much satisfied with FF3 and thinking to move to Opera or Chrome as my default browser. Good thing Opera have Speed Dial by default.

Okay. I just happen to like some of Opera's features and its overall functionality. And, if I could say so, elegance, both in functionality and visually (depending, of course, on what theme/skin you use and how you arrange the toolbars and what appears on the toolbars).

For instance, I prefer browser tabs to be at the bottom of the browser window, which mirrors what other programs usually do on Windows.

But that's just my choice.

12. vanya says:

What's a profile? Can someone give that instruction in steps?

Vanya, I guess I didn't explain that well. The speeddial.ini file is likely contained in a folder called "profile". If you've got Opera installed, look through the related folders.

On Windows, the file might be in:

C:\program files\username\Opera\ … etc
    or in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Opera\Opera9.52\profile

14. pan says:

Close Opera
    Edit speeddial.ini in your profile to add this:

[Size]
    Rows=4
    Columns=5

there is no speedial.ini file. it is called speeddial_default. I edited it with opera closed but it didn't work.

Pan, did you look in Program Files and in the Application data? The file paths (directories) are in the post above yours (#13) … yours may be slightly different. What version of Opera are you using?

16. Pan says:

this is the path. I am using opera 9.6 the latest.
    C:\Program Files\Opera\defaults

the file was called speedial_default.ini

I believe it is the correct file. But it didn't work when i edited it

17. Pan says:

is this how it should look like?

Opera Preferences version 2.1
    ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
    ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

[Speed Dial 1]
    Title=http://redir.opera.com/speeddials/?id=1
    Url=http://redir.opera.com/speeddials/?id=1
    Reload Enabled=0
    Reload Interval=0
    Reload Only If Expired=0

[Size]

Rows=4

Columns=4

I see. I have that file too, but it's not the file I edited. I am thinking that you need to look in your profile folder, not at the defaults. If you're running Windows, look somewhere like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Opera\profile

Oops. I see that you replied while I was still typing.

Save a copy of the file first, and then edit the Rows and Columns. I have this, which gives me 20 speed dial slots:

[Size]
    Rows=4
    Columns=5

20. Pan says:

Diane

thank's a lot. I managed to do it

Excellent. Enjoy!